Description and Characteristics of waterproof plaster:
Plastering and waterproofing in one step. IZONIL HARD (waterproof plaster) is an extremely waterproof dry plaster mixture that will create a waterproof barrier after application; while it stays breathable at the same time. Hydrophobic ingredient Izo Component HARD is the key component that ensures waterproof characteristic of the product.
IZONIL HARD offers a permanent solution by eliminating the problems of water leakage. The plaster is produced from natural materials and does not contain any harmful or inflammable ingredients and it is environmental friendly, making it also possible for waterproofing drinking water tanks.
Areas of Application of waterproof plaster:
- Cellars, shafts and underground constructions from ground water.
- Permanent interior and exterior renovation of soaked, wet, salt-damaged walls of traditionally built buildings.
- Stuccoing of structures to protect against water damage Bathrooms, shower bath, balconies.
- Oversized concrete tanks, roof-gardens, planter boxes and swimming pools
Advantages of waterproof plaster:
- Applicable as above-grade or sub-grade insulation.
- It is possible to apply to wet surfaces.
- Frost-resistance and sulphate-proof.
- Prevention against salt crystallisation.
- It can be applied manually with the help of trowel or with a spray applicator.
- No need for additional membranes or ceilings.
- Air and Vapor permeable allowing trapped moisture to evaporate.
- Excellent cohesion and bonding strength.
- No bituminous or toxic ingredients.
- Prevents salt efflorescence.
Application Details of this waterproof plaster :-
Before applying IZONIL HARD(waterproof breathable plaster), it is important to remove all existing plaster, stucco, loose particles, residual paint, oil, rust, dust, and other impurities. Defective wall elements, such as damaged bricks, should be repaired or replaced. If used as a repair mortar, the old plaster should be removed 30-40 inches (800-1000 mm) above the boundary of water incursion. If salt efflorescence is present, jointing must be raked to a depth of 20 mm. The wall surface should be thoroughly cleaned with suitable equipment such as high-pressure air, water, or wire brush.
Water absorbent surfaces should be well moistened with water before application. To maximize cohesion a thin mixture of cement and water should be spattered onto the surface before plastering. In cases of water leaking onto the plastered surface, it is important to ensure that the leakage is stopped for at least 72 hours or more, if possible, to ensure the proper setting of the plaster.
Note : If there is any doubt about surface suitability before plastering, always test small area first.
To one 25 kg bag of IZONIL HARD (waterproofing plaster), approximately 3.75 to 4.5 litres of water is added in a gravity mixer. Mix or stir for 7-10 min. Mixed material has a pot life of 3 hrs. It is recommended to use electrically powered mixing tool, due to hydrophobic abilities of the plaster. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING INTO MIXED COMPOSITION!
Applying IZONIL HARD The plaster is laid on the prepared surface manually with a smoother or with a spray applicator (commonly used method). The minimum thickness of one layer should be 10 mm a maximum of 3 layers (30 mm) can be laid. It is necessary to slightly rough up the surface before application of the next layer.
Care after application:
It is necessary to prevent it from drying too fast since the optimal moistness enables permanent hydration of cement materials and minimisation of cracking. The plaster has to be cured for a minimum of 7 days. Upon curing, the surface can be painted or tiles can be laid.
While plastering extremely moist surfaces, aggregation of water drops on the plaster surface can occur. This is due to the ‘drying-effect’ of the plaster (Breath-ability).